Tuesday, March 13, 2012

When NOT to get a dog



Youth Culture Killed my Dog

I adopted Tripp, my black lab, when I was 18. It's now 9 years later and I look back at the day I adopted him and wonder what in the hell I was thinking.

When NOT to get a dog:

(and ironically, this is when I got a Tripp)

 
1) 1 month after you move in with your boyfriend


2) 1 month after you move out of your parent's house and officially become responsible for yourself and all your bills


3) When your new landlord tells you NO PETS

4) When you can't keep a tiny bamboo plant alive


Luck is not my thing.

5) When you have already left two dogs-one that bites people and one that is half retarded-with your mom so you could move out and live on your own.


6) When you are 18 and all you want to do is party, drink, do drugs, and have sex

This should never happen.


7) When you barely know how to wash dishes, much less clean up after a dog.



8) When your new boyfriend, who happens to be an only child, has never had a dog.

9) When you promise everyone that you are going to get a small dog but come home with a Lab mix puppy (Which incidentally grows up to weigh the same amount as you)



Not a small dog. Might be a cute dog. But not a small one.



10) When you do no research and have no clue that not only is it bad training habits, but bad to give your dog a bone every night to shut him up. Tripp almost had to have surgery because they got stuck in his tummy.




Looking back at the situation, I was out of my mind crazy to think I should get a dog. No wonder the local shelter refused to let us adopt a dog. I am sure there are a high percentage of couples, under the age of 21, who just moved in together and end up giving the dog BACK to the shelter after they break up or realize the dog is more than they can handle.

Tripp was definitely more than most adults could handle. Much less young teenage "almost" adults...

Hell, had it not been for my stubbornness then we might have given Tripp up. After Tripp chewed up Bill's favorite pillow (Remember: Only child), I thought Bill was going to make me chose between him and the dog. Bill never did though because he knew I would have easily chosen Tripp. Then I would have moved back in with my mom and she could take care of me and three dogs!

So in summary, Bill and I should have never in a thousand years got Tripp. In the end though, it worked out and Tripp has been with us for 9 years and will be with us for the remainder of his life. Bill and I have made life changing decisions based on Tripp. We have even broken up AND got back together because of him (pre-marriage of course). I don't regret it but, man, we were fucking STUPID.


This is me and Tripp taking a nap. No, I don't regret adopting my best friend but this decision should not be made lightly.

No comments: